Tips for adding flavour on a low FODMAP diet:
- Swap garlic to garlic-infused olive oil (Cobram Estate is the leading brand in mainstream Australia supermarkets but Aldi now also stocks a great range of infused olive oils)
- Swap onion to the green tips of shallots (the white part is a source of fructans, i.e. the FODMAP part but you can have the green part) or chives
- Experiment with different herbs and spices. Most are low in FODMAPs e.g. parsley, basil, coriander, paprika, cinnamon etc. You may even discover a new favourite!
- Mustard, soy sauce (most varieties will contain small amounts of wheat which are ok on a low FODMAP diet – swap to tamari if you also have Coeliac disease), tomato sauce, fresh lemon and lime, vinegars and mayonnaise are all safe on a low FODMAP diet
- Parmesan cheese and feta are also great additions to meals. You only need a small amount as they are quite rich in flavour. Both cheeses are low in lactose and therefore suitable for those on a low FODMAP diet.