4 chicken breasts (approx 600g total weight)
4 cups baby spinach leaves
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup almonds
2 cloves garlic
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
¼ tsp Himalayan rock salt
2 tbs + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Blend spinach leaves, basil, almonds, garlic, lemon zest and juice and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Gradually add the olive oil and continue to blend until well incorporated.
- Cut a slit in each chicken breast to make a pocket and fill each with 2 tablespoons of the pesto mixture. (Secure the pocket opening with a few toothpicks if needed.)
- Add the extra teaspoon of olive oil to a frypan and lightly brown both sides of the chicken breasts (2 minutes each side) before placing on the prepared tray.
- Place chicken breasts in the oven to finish the cooking process (approximately 20 minutes).
Any remaining spinach pesto will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Use it in scrambled eggs or as a topping on roasted vegetables throughout the week.